Platinum’s rare nature gives it additional value and appeal

Huw Daniel is the CEO of Platinum Guild International, overseeing market development activities in China, Japan, India and the USA, on behalf of the platinum producers of South Africa. Before taking up this role in 2015, Huw ran PGI USA for 12 years...

13 september 2021

Marco Carniello: We want to continue to be the engine boosting the jewellery industry

Italian Exhibition Group (IEG) is a leader in Italy in the organisation of trade fairs and one of the main operators in the trade fair and conference sector at European level, with structures in Rimini and Vicenza, as well as further sites in...

06 september 2021

There is a significant need for smart and technological financial solutions in the diamond industry

MDPS, the Israeli start-up Fintech company from the Mazalit Group is gearing up to enter the diamond industry soon. Zeev Maimon, the CEO of MDPS is also the Founder / CEO of MAZALIT, a B2B payment platform designed and dedicated to the global diamond...

30 august 2021

The future for synthetics lies in that it has become possible to grow a stone you want and make what you want out of it

Alex Popov, President of the Moscow Diamond Exchange and head of the Âme jewelry brand, which uses lab-grown diamonds to produce jewelry, sat for an interview with Rough&Polished sharing his views on the coexistence of natural and man-made diamonds in...

23 august 2021

De Beers’ GemFair ropes in more than 160 Sierra Leone artisanal miners

De Beers inaugurated its GemFair pilot programme in Sierra Leone’s Kono District with 14-member mine sites in 2018 to create a secure route to market for ethically sourced artisanal and small-scale diamonds. GemFair programme manager Ruby Stocklin-Weinberg...

16 august 2021

Indian Manufacturers Focus on Processing Non-Gem Application Diamonds

31 july 2014

Like the U.S., China, Japan, Taiwan and the E.U., companies that manufacture lab-grown diamonds have started investing in efforts to promote specialized cutters and polishers in India and export finished grown diamonds for non-gem application sectors including scientific research, precision engineering and next generation applications, Rapaport reports citing The Times of India.
The U.S.-based research and consulting firm, Frost & Sullivan, in its recent report on Diamond Growing Greenhouses stated that the potential for the traditional cutting and polishing industry looks promising as only 30 percent of the grown diamond capacity would be utilized for gem-quality diamonds and that the remaining 70 percent would be used in alternative industries. This would, however, give a good hedge for existing cutters, as diversification would be possible in an industry that has, so far, heavily relied on a single product gem quality diamonds.
The report further stated that global grown diamond (polished) sales revenue will be 1.9 percent of the global polished diamond sales by 2018.
Following reports on undisclosed grown diamonds being mixed with natural diamonds, the Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) and other industry bodies set up Natural Diamond Monitoring Committee (NDMC), assisted by A.T.Kearney and Bonas & Co. to investigate claims on the mixing of undisclosed grown diamonds in natural diamond parcels.
A report was submitted on June 6, 2014 stating that contrary to some previous publications, research shows that with the current production technology, gem-quality synthetic rough diamond production is less than 350,000 carats compared to over 125 million carats of natural gem-quality rough diamonds mined across the world.
Even the World Federation of Diamond Bourses (WFDB) corroborated the fact stating that less than 0.2 percent of diamonds traded around the world are lab grown and that they are not a threat to the global diamond industry.
In the past few years, few companies have made dedicated investments in training Indian vendors to broaden their skills to cut and polish grown diamonds for non-gem applications including industrial, scientifically and cutting-edge technology sectors. The companies import grown diamond from companies like IIa technologies and employ over 500 people in Surat.
"There is a huge potential in generating many jobs in the diamond industry by training diamond cutters and polishers into processing lab-grown diamonds for non-gem applications. Grown diamonds are the new source of raw material for the trade when the present natural sources are depleting," said an industry leader.