GOLDNET.MARKET - “We want and are working to provide business with the opportunity to develop a lot of activity areas”

Today, almost all jewellery companies have their own wholesale websites, online stores, and social media pages. But a year ago, GOLDNET.MARKET, the first jewellery wholesale marketplace appeared in Russia, a new effective tool for the jewellery market...

20 september 2021

Platinum’s rare nature gives it additional value and appeal

Huw Daniel is the CEO of Platinum Guild International, overseeing market development activities in China, Japan, India and the USA, on behalf of the platinum producers of South Africa. Before taking up this role in 2015, Huw ran PGI USA for 12 years...

13 september 2021

Marco Carniello: We want to continue to be the engine boosting the jewellery industry

Italian Exhibition Group (IEG) is a leader in Italy in the organisation of trade fairs and one of the main operators in the trade fair and conference sector at European level, with structures in Rimini and Vicenza, as well as further sites in...

06 september 2021

There is a significant need for smart and technological financial solutions in the diamond industry

MDPS, the Israeli start-up Fintech company from the Mazalit Group is gearing up to enter the diamond industry soon. Zeev Maimon, the CEO of MDPS is also the Founder / CEO of MAZALIT, a B2B payment platform designed and dedicated to the global diamond...

30 august 2021

The future for synthetics lies in that it has become possible to grow a stone you want and make what you want out of it

Alex Popov, President of the Moscow Diamond Exchange and head of the Âme jewelry brand, which uses lab-grown diamonds to produce jewelry, sat for an interview with Rough&Polished sharing his views on the coexistence of natural and man-made diamonds in...

23 august 2021

‘Bad Time to Sell Diavik,’ According Rio Tinto Chief

30 march 2009

Prices of rough diamonds have fallen more than 50 percent in some categories, suffering more than other commodities, said Rio Tinto Chief Executive Tom Albanese during a conference call broadcast from the BMO Capital Markets Ltd offices in London on Thursday.
Albanese said that Rio Tinto remains committed to the diamond sector and that now would be a bad time to sell Rio Tinto’s 60 percent interest in Diavik. The announcement comes just a week after Harry Winston Diamond, which holds the remaining 40 percent, announced an agreement to sell 22.5 percent of its holding to Kinross Gold Corporation for $104.4 million. The gold miner will have a 9 percent holding in the Canadian diamond mine, IDEX Online reported.
The Rio executive reiterated previous statements that underground development has been slowed at Diavik and Argyle, an outcome of decreased demand for rough diamonds.
Rio Tinto recently announced the results of an order of magnitude study conducted at the Bunder Exploration Project in India, where 40 lamproites and kimberlites have been discovered.
The study indicated that the Atri pipe is amenable to conventional open pit mining and diamond processing technology. An Inferred Resource of 37 million tons at a grade of 74 carats per ton (cpht) for 27.4 million carats was recently announced.
The Rio statement did not include projected diamond price values, only saying that an evaluation was made.
BMO quoted press reports of potential government royalties of only $19 million a year, saying that a 3.5 million carat per annum production rate suggest that diamond values are around $180 per carat.
Rio’s diamond mining comprises of the Diavik Diamonds mine in Canada, the wholly owned Argyle mine in Australia and the Murowa mine in Zimbabwe. Production at Murowa, where Rio holds a 78 percent stake started in 2004.