What Jagersfontein diamond mine staff should have done to avoid the dam wall collapse

A mine dam wall at South Africa’s Jagersfontein diamond mine in Free State province recently collapsed twice within two weeks, killing one person and damaging properties. The dam at the disused mine held liquid waste from a tailings reprocessing operation...

03 october 2022

“The global diamond industry must now learn to steer clear of this obstructive and outdated “blood/conflict diamond” terminology,” says Dr M’zee Fula Ngenge, Chairman, African Diamond Council

Dr M'zée Fula Ngenge, the Chairman of the African Diamond Council (ADC), a Mining Engineer and highly respected Senior Strategy Advisor celebrated 40 years in the global diamond industry this year. He acts as a professional liaison within...

26 september 2022

Anglo American Platinum makes significant investments in SA’s hydrogen economy

Anglo American Platinum continues to make significant investments in South Africa’s hydrogen economy, according to a company spokesperson. The Platinum Group Metals (PGMs) miner’s external communication principal Nomonde Ndwalaza told Rough&Polished’s...

19 september 2022

Ellen Joncheere: I am launching a new initiative to support young designers globally

Ellen Joncheere, CEO of HRD Antwerp, in an exclusive interview with Rough&Polished told about the history of the HRD Design Awards and its new, 18th edition.

12 september 2022

Hari Krishna Exports eyes untapped diamond jewellery markets

Ghanshyam Dholakia, born in a farmers’ family in a remote village Dudhala in Gujarat was inspired along with his siblings by his father to follow their destiny and this led them to Surat city - a world of opportunities! In the early seventies, Ghanshyam’s...

05 september 2022

Amplats, Atlatsa complete sale of their interest in Bokoni Platinum

17 august 2022
Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) and its joint venture partner Atlatsa Resources Corporation have completed all the conditions precedent related to the sale of their joint 100% interest in Bokoni Platinum Mines to a wholly owned subsidiary of African Rainbow Minerals for R3.5 billion. 
Amplats had a 49% stake in Bokoni, while Atlatsa held the remaining 51% shareholding.
“We are pleased to have concluded the disposal of Bokoni Mine to African Rainbow Minerals. In conjunction with our joint venture partner, Atlatsa, we wanted to ensure the sustainability of the mine by selling Bokoni to an operator with the technical and operational capability and access to funding to successfully restart and operate the mine,” said Amplats chief executive Natascha Viljoen.
The transaction will include employees and local communities in the new ownership structure alongside African Rainbow Minerals. 
The effective date of the transaction is expected to be 1 September 2022, when African Rainbow Minerals will take over ownership, control, and management of Bokoni.

Mathew Nyaungwa, Editor in Chief of the African Bureau, Rough&Polished