Part 2: KPCSC wants Russia to help end impasse on new definition of conflict diamonds

In the first installment of this two-part exclusive interview with Shamiso Mtisi, the coordinator of the Kimberley Process Civil Society Coalition (KPCSC), we focused on illegal diamond mining in the continent and where the contraband ends up...

25 october 2021

Part 1: KPCSC gives insight into illegal diamond mining, trading in Africa

Although the diamond watchdog Kimberley Process (KP) prides itself for significantly reducing the flow of conflict goods since its establishment in 2003, the Kimberley Process Civil Society Coalition (KPCSC) alleged that illegal diamond...

18 october 2021

The jewelry industry in Russia needs to be upgraded in a serious way

Dina Nasyrova is a vice-president of the International Jewelry Exhibition-Congress J-1 recently hosted by the Atrium of Gostiny Dvor in Moscow. As a partner and the Muse of the famous jeweler Ilgiz Fazulzyanov, she actively participated in the preparation...

11 october 2021

Smiling Rocks, a philanthropic business model, inspires companies to work for betterment of the world

Zulu Ghevriya, the CEO and Co-Founder of Smiling Rocks, Founder of Vedantti Jewellery and Managing Director of Prism Group has been in the diamond and jewellery industry for over 20 years. Zulu started his business, Prism Group, as a natural diamond...

04 october 2021

Work hard and you will find success

Eduard Utkin, Director General of the “Jewellers’ Guild of Russia” Association, expert of the RF Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Committee on Precious Metals and Precious Stones, told R&P about implementing the SIIS PMPS (State Integrated Information...

27 september 2021

Endiama, Rio Tinto sign diamond JV

12 october 2021
Angola’s State-owned diamond company Endiama has signed a joint venture agreement with Rio Tinto over the Chiri diamond concession in the Lunda Norte Province.
Angop news agency reports that the agreement was signed by Endiama chief executive Ganga Júnior, and by Rio Tinto representative, Kennerhbe Tainton. 
The joint venture would see Rio Tinto controlling a 75% stake while Endiama will take up the remaining 25%.
“Rio Tinto is one of the best mining companies in the world and whose technical capacity, experience and form of action are of interest to Angola, to add value to the Angolan mining sector, contributing to the increase in diamond production,” minister of mineral resources, oil and gas, Diamantino de Azevedo was quoted as saying.
Meanwhile, Tainton said that Rio Tinto decided to invest in Angola as it has the future of the diamond sector is promising. 
The contract, which will last for five years, provides for the possibility of Endiama increasing its stake to 49%.
The concession, which covers an area of 108 km², has the potential to have a life mine of 35 years. 
The parties had been negotiating over the concession since April 2019.

Mathew Nyaungwa, Editor in Chief of the African Bureau, Rough&Polished