How Russkiye Samotsvety is coping with the current downturn

One of the key issues facing most Russian companies today is the need for an objective assessment of the new consumption decline due to the quarantine, as well as making forecasts for a way out of it. According to a RBC-Petersburg’s study made in June...

Yesterday

Global rough diamond sales down 80-90% in value in Q2 –Zimnisky

The COVID-19 pandemic, which is spreading across the globe, having originated from China’s Wuhan has left diamond traders and buyers at sixes and sevens. Traditional diamond tenders were cancelled around March as governments imposed travel restrictions...

27 july 2020

Indian diamond and polishing industry requires forward integration - Dinesh Navadiya

Dinesh Navadiya is now the Regional Chairman (Gujarat Region) of The Gems & Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) of India for the 3rd term. He is also the Director on the Board of the Gem & Jewellery Skill Council of India (GJSCI)...

20 july 2020

GJEPC will focus on demand generation for diamonds and jewellery in the next two years

Mr. Vipul P Shah, Vice Chairman, GJEPC and also CEO & Managing Director of Asian Star Co. Ltd. has a rich experience in the diamond industry. His business acumen and professional conduct have contributed significantly in transforming a diamond manufacturing...

13 july 2020

The need for significant capital investments will be the main trend in the diamond mining industry in 2021-2030

The prospects of the diamond industry in the post-crisis period are discussed by the Rough&Polished correspondent with Sergey Mityukhin, Candidate of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences, Honored Geologist of the Russian Federation.

06 july 2020

ALROSA Zim begins diamond prospecting

21 july 2020
ALROSA Zimbabwe, a joint venture between Russian diamond giant ALROSA and the state-owned Zimbabwe Consolidated Diamond Company (ZCDC), has commenced prospecting and preliminary exploration works for primary diamond deposits.
This comes after the JV obtained special grants from the mines ministry as the country’s Environmental Management Agency (EMA) approved its Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).
ALROSA said in a statement that prospecting and exploration will take place in Masvingo, Matebeleland South and Matebeleland North provinces of Zimbabwe.
“Following the signing of a joint venture agreement with ZCDC to develop diamond deposits in Zimbabwe in December 2019, we are progressing well towards the initiation of the full-scale prospecting works this year,” said ALROSA deputy chief executive Vladimir Marchenko.
“Being a member of Responsible Jewellery Council, World Diamond Council and Natural Diamond Council, ALROSA complies in full with all industry commitments on responsible business practices and its own corporate standards.”
ALROSA Zim’s geologists will this month start with geochemical sampling, trenching and pitting in Malipati zone, followed by ground geophysical surveys. 
The same prospecting operations, including airborne geophysical surveys, will be conducted in the Maitengwe area towards the end of the year.
The JV is expected to commence bulk sampling and drilling next year.
ALROSA’s investments in Zimbabwe for 2020-2022 are expected to reach $12 million.
ALROSA has a 70% stake in the JV, while ZCDC owns the remaining 30%. 

Mathew Nyaungwa, Editor in Chief of the African Bureau, Rough&Polished