“With technology all information is immutable and Blockchain cannot be compromised,” reassures Erik Jens, CEO, LuxuryFintech

When Erik A Jens quit ABN AMRO as global CEO of its diamond and jewellery client division, he started his movement called LuxuryFintech, which provides services such as commercial and corporate banking solutions for the art and jewelry sector, and asset-backed...

Yesterday

Diamonds across time

Not so long ago, the global library of professional publications on precious stones was replenished with a unique book about rare diamonds and diamond jewelry published by the World Diamond Museum. Alex Popov, the founder and director of the museum told...

18 january 2021

Academician Pokhilenko: The situation with rough diamonds in the Russian Federation will start changing for the worse as early as 2025

Nikolai Petrovich Pokhilenko, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), Deputy Chairman of the Siberian Branch (SB) of the RAS, Scientific Director of the Institute of Geology and Mineralogy of the SB of the RAS, is a prominent...

11 january 2021

Ilgiz Fazulzyanov: For a creator, the quarantine is the time to work on future masterpieces

Ilgiz Fazulzyanov is a successful and internationally recognized jewellery designer. He received his academic art education in Kazan and moved to Moscow in the 1990s where he lives and works now. His brand, Ilgiz F., is well known among true connoisseurs...

04 january 2021

Botswana Diamonds keen to mine KX36 kimberlite if found commercial

Botswana Diamonds intends to mine the KX36 kimberlite, which it recently acquired from Petra Diamonds if found commercial. The high-grade KX36 kimberlite pipe is part of the three Prospecting Licenses in the Central Kalahari Game Reserve in Botswana...

28 december 2020

SA state diamond firm Alexkor trading recklessly, may go bust by June

28 may 2020

South African state-owned diamond mining company, Alexkor is trading “recklessly” and failing to meet its financial obligations, according to local media reports.
The miner’s administrator Lloyd McPatie said in a briefing to a Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Public Enterprises that Alexkor was set to run out of cash by June, following a loss of R63.5-million ($3.6 million) in 2019. 

news_27052020_alexkor.png
Image credit: Alexkor


Alexkor’s core business is diamond mining around Alexander Bay and its non-core business includes residential and community services.
"It was not a going concern when I walked in, and it's still not a going concern," McPatie was quoted as saying by Fin24.
"The company is not a going concern. It can't generate cashflows."
McPatie proposed that a new recapitalised entity be established to own and manage the Alexander Bay mine.
The administrator said the Pooling and Sharing Joint Venture (PSJV) between Alexkor and the Richterveld Mining Company, which includes the Richtersveld community, was also technically insolvent and could not trade itself out of its current financial situation.
Alexkor owns 51% of the mine, in Richtersveld, in the Northern Cape while the remaining 49% was owned by the PSJV.
McPatie, who was appointed in mid-2019 to review the contract mining and revenue sharing models between the PSVJ and the contractors, said the entity only had one geologist, which was not normal for a mining operation.
He said PSJV should at least have a metallurgist, a surveyor and a mineral resource manager appointed as well.
The option of liquidation of the PSJV was proposed to government last January, but this was depended on the Communal Property Association being properly constituted, which McPatie said it was not.

Mathew Nyaungwa, Editor in Chief of the African Bureau, Rough&Polished