рус  | eng  |

Exclusive

20.04.2015
Investments that Make One Beautiful and Happy
svetlana_maximova_x.jpgSvetlana Maksimova, CEO of the Casting-House jewellery company (with the office in the Triumfalny trade centre, specializes in the designer items using high quality Yakutian diamonds with their origin being beyond any doubts and their cut flawless). She is a founder of the Yakutian polished diamonds trademark (Yakutskiye Brillianty). She has graduated from the Yakutian State University and the Far-Eastern Institute of Psychology and Psychoanalysis. She worked as a Senior Deputy Director General at the diamond cutting and polishing Tuimaada Diamond company, AK ALROSA (in the Centre for co-operation with cutting and jewellery companies) and also as a Director of the Almazny Dvor (Diamond House) trading and exhibition centre and a Director General of the Diamond Club of Russia.

13.04.2015
Igor Kevchenkov: Money Invested in Polished Diamonds and Gold are the Most Reliable Investments
igor_kevchenkov_x.jpgRusskaya Yuvelirnaya Kompaniya (Russian Jewellery Company) established in 1998 is now an advanced company manufacturing exclusive jewellery and selling it in the Russian market. The Holding comprises Moskovskaya Yuvelirnaya Fabrika (Moscow Jewellery Factory) and multi-brand stores located in Moscow, Novosibirsk and other Russian cities. The jeweler's retail store chain offers a wide range of goods starting from high-end diamond jewellery sets to the one-of-a-kind designer silver jewellery. It is also a partner of leading Russian and foreign manufacturers like MYuZ, Russkie Samotsvety (Russian Gems), Adamas, MZSS and other firms. Igor Kevchenkov, Director General of Russkaya Yuvelirnaya Kompaniya, answers the questions from Rough&Polished.

06.04.2015
De Beers Group turning more sophisticated in their technological line-up to identify synthetics
simon_lawson_06042015_x.jpgjamie_clark_06042015_x.jpg







Besides diamond mining, The De Beers Group of Companies has been engaged in diamond research for many years and this kind of involvement is now paying back helping the global diamond industry to prevent its market from being eroded by synthetic diamonds. As part of De Beers Group, De Beers Technologies and the International Institute of Diamond Grading & Research (IIDGR) have been quite busy recently developing techniques and producing a range of easy-to-use equipment focused on detecting treated and synthetic diamonds. Simon Lawson, Head of De Beers Technologies UK and Jamie Clark, Commercial Director for the IIDGR described the latest know-how offered to the diamond industry in their interview to Rough&Polished.





Lesotho’s proposed ownership law to affect diamond firms

02.08.2012

Lesotho is set to introduce a new law that will limit foreign mining firms’ ownership in local mines to 49 percent, while the remaining 51 percent will be reserved for natives (government included).
Diamond companies to be affected by this proposed law included Gem Diamonds, which owns 70 percent of the Letseng mine, and Namakwa Diamonds, which owns the majority of the Kao mine.
Gem’s flagship Letseng diamond mine had produced 57,116 carats during the first six months of the year ended June 2012.
It said the mine also achieved an average value of $2‚133 per carat during the first half of the year compared with $3‚052 realised a year earlier.
Namakwa on the other hand realised revenues of about $4.2 million from its third sale of Kao rough diamonds in Antwerp, with achieved prices 3.4 percent higher than initial management estimates.
However, with all the positive news coming from the diamond miners in Lesotho, the country’s new Prime Minister Tom Thabane said the gems were not being mined successfully in a manner that benefits the country, hence the move to review the ownership structure.
"We also have lots of diamonds, but are not doing so well," he said.
Thabane said that the proposed law would not affect the non-mining sector as was the case in Zimbabwe under its controversial indigenisation law.
“The localisation issues mentioned are in the mining sector — other sectors are not affected,” he was quoted by Businessday as saying.
"But it is still a debate. At the moment we do not think we will follow the status quo.”

Mathew Nyaungwa, Editor in Chief of the African Bureau, Rough&Polished

Rough&Polished

Comments

Only registered users are allowed to comment.
Register
Sign in
© 2007-2015 Rough and Polished